Electrician CV Sample
The perfect electrician CV outlines the qualifications, experience and skills you’ll bring to the role you’ve applied for. It focuses on electrical repair and installation experience, and your commitment to working safely - but doesn’t forget to add in the extras like additional certifications and soft skills.
Electrician CV Templates
We’ve been designing electrician CV templates for more than a decade, so we can help you break the information into key sections and present it in a way that recruiters will love.
The design of an electrician CV will make it easy to focus on your experience, skills and qualifications.
- Font: Our CV templates use clean, classic fonts like Times New Roman and Arial to create a professional impression.
- White space: Plenty of white space between sections means that our electrician CV templates are easy to read and not crowded with text.
- Headings: Each section has a clear, bold heading in a larger font size, making the CV easy to skim for specific details.
A standard CV structure with reverse chronological employment history is exactly what recruiters are expecting to see.
- Personal statement: A short punchy paragraph at the top of the page summarising your key strengths and abilities, such as electrical circuitry skills.
- Work experience: A clear job title at the top of each position shows the progress from apprentice, through to electrician’s mate, to fully fledged electrician with all the professional certifications.
- Skills: Your CV must include a bullet pointed list of relevant skills, like project management, panel upgrades, and client relations.
- Education: Listing any vocational qualifications gained will show that you have a thorough theoretical grounding.
Electrician CV Examples
Our CV example shows just what recruiters expect from an electrician CV. Here’s what this candidate has done so well:
- A high-impact summary: In just 34 words, the professional summary references 12 years of work experience, electrical circuitry expertise, and knowledge of the latest tools and equipment.
- Using appropriate language: This CV example uses technical language such as circuit breakers and ammeters, which recruiters are looking for.
- Including keywords: Many companies use applicant tracking software, which automatically scans for specific keywords. This CV example has included keywords like ‘safe’, ‘safety’ and ‘equipment’ to make sure they pass these important filters.
- Referencing standards: Mentioning the BS 7671 Code Regulations shows recruiter that this candidate is familiar with key with industry standards.
- A clear, uncluttered look and feel: This candidate understands that a CV needs to be as neat and tidy as the wiring you do. Visually distinct sections and good use of headers help this CV to create a professional impression.
How to Write The Perfect Electrician CV
Writing a great electrician CV is quick and easy if you follow our CV help and tips, and use our CV builder. Here are our top 5 tips to get started:
- Be specific: Your CV is no place for modesty. Don’t just say you have experience as a qualified electrician. Mention that you’ve planned motor starter and control installations and tested the continuity of circuits.
- Use numbers: Back up your achievements with numbers where you can, such as by mentioning an average of 8 repairs every week. This personalises your CV and give your claims more authenticity.
- Provide correct contact details: Make sure your contact details are front and centre and completely up-to-date. If you have a ‘comedy’ email address then now is the time to set up another account just for job applications.
- Check your spelling: There’s no such thing as over-checking for spelling mistakes. Just one could see the recruiter rejecting your CV on the grounds that a similarly careless approach to wiring could end up costing lives.
- Edit your list of skills: Don’t be tempted to list every single skill you’ve ever picked up, as it could make your CV too long. Study the job description and advert, and choose those that most closely match what the recruiter’s looking for.
Frequently Asked Questions About Electrician CVs
Are electricians in demand in the UK?
Electricians are in demand in the UK – so much so that there’s a shortage in the sector:
- The introduction of new green technologies means that thousands more electricians are needed.
- The government is building a million new homes, which will need to be wired by qualified electricians.
- People will need electricians more in the future as electricity offers a cleaner form of energy.
Take advantage of the skills shortage and apply for a new role! Start by building your CV.
What qualifications do I need to be an electrician in the UK?
The minimum UK qualification for a professional electrician is a level 3 qualification like a diploma in electrotechnical services.
- You can study for a diploma while working as an apprentice electrician.
- GCSEs in Maths and English will also be an advantage.
- It’s possible to become qualified just as a domestic electrician, but this limits the work you can do.
Key Skills for Your Electrician CV
The skills included in your electrician CV show the recruiter that you’ve worked in a range of settings and understand different aspects of the job such as circuits, electrical panels and electrical raceways.
Essential skills for electrician positions
- Certified Electrical License
- Construction management
- Electrical panel upgrades
- Safety and compliance
- Electrical installation and repair
- Commusoft database software use
- BS 7671 code regulations
Additional skills to help your electrician CV beat the competition
- Project management
- Attention to detail
- Staff management
- Problem solving
- Ability to assess risks
Build The Perfect Electrician CV
Showing that you’re perfect for the job begins with the perfect CV. Our electrician CV templates give you the framework and structure, and our CV builder pulls everything together.
When you’ve finished, you’ll have a brilliant CV that lists your skills, highlights your achievements and showcases your professionalism perfectly.