The CV Format You Choose Has Instant Impact
The average recruiter spends only 6 seconds looking at a CV, so you need a layout that encourages skim reading. At the same time, it needs to be in a format that works with Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) software, which filters for specific keywords.
Learn more about how to choose CV templates that give you the right format and layout. Then use a combination of our CV templates and builder to build your perfect CV.
What's the Best CV Layout?
The best CV layout clearly communicates your professionalism and work history, while also ensuring it's easy for both software and employers to scan. Consider the following key aspects of your CV layout:
Your CV layout should be no longer than 2 pages of A4. Anything longer bores employers, and is likely to be discarded.
Each section of information, like your personal statement, work history, and education, should be clearly set out in a logical order. Start with a clear personal statement, then list relevant work experience in reverse chronological order. Follow up with skills, then education.
Headings, subheadings, and bullet points
A strong CV layout has clearly defined headings, making it easy for a recruiter to identify where key information is likely to be. Using sub-headings and bullet points further break up text and make keywords more discoverable.
Just because multicoloured CV templates are available doesn't mean that you should choose them. Using a secondary colour isn't inappropriate in the UK, but any more looks unprofessional.
Templates with unique fonts may look interesting, but are seldom loved by employers. They're often hard for both ATS and recruiters to read. Keep the fonts clear and simple - check out our CV templates to see what's recommended.
Show you understand industry expectations by choosing a layout that works for the role you want. For example, a CV for a web developer role with a startup might be less formal and more skills-focused. But an analyst in financial services will require a precise, formal CV template.
Consistency with your cover letter
By choosing a CV template that matches the template you use for your cover letter, you create a strong application.
30 of the UK’s Most Popular CV Layouts and Formats
Stand out from the crowd by choosing the right CV layout for the role you want.
2019 CV format & layout
ATS friendly CV formats & layout
Basic CV layout & format
Clean simple CV formats
Complete CV in Word format
Cool new CV format & layout
Correct CV layout
Curriculum vitae format
Effective CV layout
EU CV format & layout
Europass CV format in English
Good CV layout & format
Ideal UK CV format
Latest CV layout
Most effective CV layout & format
Perfect CV layout
School leavers’ CV layout
Smart CV format
Standard CV format 2019
Unique CV format & layout
15 Common CV Layout Mistakes to Avoid
The right CV layout can be the difference between a strong job application, and a CV that lands in the rubbish bin. Stand out with a perfect CV by avoiding these common layout mistakes:
1. Filling every space on the CV with information
2. Using a creative font
3. Adding colours and images
4. Including a selfie
5. Using an unprofessional email address
6. Giving a detailed account of every job you’ve ever had
7. Including irrelevant personal information
8. Providing reference details
9. Sharing all your social media profile links
10. Writing long blocks of text
11. Changing the standard layout to keep things interesting
12. Forgetting to check your contact details are correct
13. Going on too long
14. Bending the truth
15. Underplaying relevant achievements
3 Common Questions About CV Formatting & Layouts
1: How do you format a CV?
Format a CV by choosing a professional CV template and filling in key details. Ensure that you include:
- Up-to-date, correct contact details.
- A personal statement that summarises your strengths and how they relate to the role.
- Work experience, listed in reverse chronological order.
- Skills that are clearly relevant to the position.
- Your education, including qualifications.
Our CV builder takes care of the formatting for you, so you can focus on the content. See what it has to offer.
2: How can I write a good CV?
Write a good CV by packing the relevant information into just 1-2 sides of A4. A professional CV builder and the right CV template can make a huge difference.
- Be specific about your strengths and achievements. Use facts and figures, like meeting or exceeding sales targets.
- Build a list of keywords: the skills and work experience the job description mentions. Include these to appeal to both ATS and employers.
- Proofread the content multiple times, and read it out loud to confirm it reads well.
- Use a professional CV builder to make it quick, easy, and professional.
3: I’ve found the right CV, should I stick to it?
Don't stick to just one CV. It's critical that your CV is customised to specifically meet the job description for each role. Why?
- Re-using an existing CV shows a lack of effort and interest in the position.
- A specific CV template will conform to industry expectations for the role. A more general CV won’t.
- A CV template suited to more junior roles will become outdated as you build your career history.
We have CV templates and examples for almost every role and industry. Take a look and find the right CV for you, right now.
The Advantages of Using an Online CV Layout
Once you've written a CV, you need to figure out how to format it. It takes hours to design your own template and sort out a structure - and we believe your time is better spent customising the content and attending interviews.
So instead of creating CV formatting drama, just use one of our ready-made templates in our online CV builder. Professionally developed thanks to over a decade's experience in the field, you'll get a professional layout plus the convenience of online access. Here are the key advantages:
1. A ready-made structure
2. Appropriate fonts and colours
4. Always-on access
Find the Right CV Layout
Get your CV layout right and you’ll be more successful in taking the next step in your career. Use our CV formats and builder to make sure that employers get the clearest possible picture of what you have to offer.
What are you waiting for? Start building your CV now and get the job you want.