Construct the perfect application with our civil engineer CV example
A civil engineer is dedicated to the planning, design, and construction of large-scale civil projects. Qualified engineers may work on railways, roads, bridges, and other built environments, helping citizens of the UK to get around more easily.
The perfect civil engineer CV showcases the right blend of skills, experience, and professional achievements. It shows recruiters that you understand concepts like 2D and 3D modelling and have worked on successful large-scale projects for a range of employers.
Build a professional CV that gets you hired.
Stand out to recruiters with these top tips for civil engineer CVs
Highlight your software skills
From AutoCAD to Excel, software plays a large part in the role of a civil engineer. Show recruiters you can hit the ground running by listing the packages you’ve used before, especially if they are mentioned in the job description.
Mention your qualifications
If you’ve passed a first aid course or site environmental training, make sure to add it to your CV. Every candidate will have passed an engineering course, so mentioning any additional qualifications is a great way to stand out from the competition.
Don’t forget your soft skills
As a civil engineer, you’ll probably be spending lots of time working as part of a team. Don’t just focus on your hard skills – let your personality shine through by sharing your reliability, punctuality, and communication skills.
Frequently asked questions about civil engineer CVs
What qualifications does a civil engineer need?
A civil engineer normally needs a degree in civil engineering. Alternatives include:
- A 3-year Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) degree.
- A 4-year Master’s (MEng) degree in Civil Engineering.
How do I write a civil engineering CV?
Write a civil engineering CV by using our CV builder. We’ll help you to build:
- A personal statement summarising who you are and what you can offer.
- A detailed work history, listing achievements supported by facts and figures.
- Details of your formal qualifications.
- A section on your skills – both hard and soft.
How far back should I go with my civil engineering CV?
Your CV should follow UK best-practice if you are applying in this country, make note of these pointers:
- 10 years of experience is the acceptable amount of experience to show on your CV, to ensure it’s kept relevant.
- If you have lots of previous roles - list them in an abbreviated style with fewer bullet points.
- Let the length of your CV guide you - 2 pages are ideal, 3 pages is maximum.
Key skills for civil engineer CVs
Civil engineering is a highly skilled profession. Here’s what recruiters are looking for.
Essential skills for any civil engineer
- Analytical thinking
- Time management (you can always hit a project deadline)
- Technical training and expertise
Nice-to-haves that will help you stand out
- Written and oral communication
- Knowledge of software packages
Engineer your perfect CV today
From recent graduates to senior civil engineers, myPerfectCV can help you effectively prepare your civil engineering application. With professional templates and job-specific tailored content, it’s never been easier for you to create a personalised civil engineer CV that will stand out to recruiters for all the right reasons.